Sunday, July 21, 2013

my cheap side thrives as my social life dies

Well we got Dylan potty trained!  Yippie!  With using the ABA protocol, we started in April and he picked it up instantly.  So we didn't start until he was 5, bite me if you have a problem with that. Not only did we have to teach him to physically use the toilet, we had to teach him to request with a picture since he is non-verbal

 When we got him diagnosed, the Doctor wanted us to get an OT and start potty training him.  At age 2.  Um... good thing I am an educated woman not intimidated by professionals, because I am one.  I knew my kid wasn't ready and I knew when he was showing signs of readiness.  He is doing awesome with this endeavor and we had him out of night diapers just a couple weeks after potty training started.  He independently goes in the restroom and does it.  However, he strips from waist down and I will find him naked.  Cute now, not so much when he is a teenager :).  Now I just have to be more consistent with bringing his PECS book so he can request "toilet" in public.

As you can imagine, this has been HUGE in savings. We had to special order bigger diapers for him and it wasn't cheap.  I guess the downside is it has really limited us even more in what we can and can't do.
Vacations are really out of the questions right now, not that we went anywhere anyway.  My family has a cabin in Bear Lake and that is not an option this summer. We have to drive through a canyon with no rest stops; even if he had his PECS book to request bathroom, we can't immediately meet this demand.  Swimming is not an option either since he has no way to let us know he has to go to he bathroom. We just use our Walmart kiddie pool we got for $10 and that is our equivalent of a beach vacation for us.

Not that his has anything to do with toileting issues, but his auditory sensitivity has been off the hook.  Last year we were able to see fireworks.  This year, we watched the neighbors do some of the cheap ones and it was too much for him.  Attendance of family gatherings are few and far between.  The only things we really do that he can tolerate is walking around the grocery store (for some reason he is okay with that), taking him on stroller rides to the park or just playing in the backyard.  My cheap side is happy at the next to nothing money we are spending this summer.  The only gas we spend is for us to get to work (me and my hubby are only about 3 miles from our jobs) and running essential errands.

So my idea of fun is organizing the recycling or getting caught up on laundry. Dylan is happy as a clam doing puzzles or playing with the corner of rugs.  I know we be getting CRAZY here.  At least my savings account is happy and somewhat plentiful.  Maybe one day I will do something daring like go to the movies or have someone besides me cut my hair.  I am not sure if I could handle that level of excitement right now :)


No comments:

Post a Comment